Advisory Board Member
Associate Professor and Chair, University of Michigan-Flint Philosophy Department
I have diverse interests and have written in political philosophy, ethical theory, metaphysics and philosophy of religion. Most recently I presented a paper on "The Metaphysics of Autism" at an interdisciplinary conference in England. It was an adaptation of my chapter from the anthology I co-edited with Jami, The Philosophy of Autism. Next, I hope to return to the issues of moral personhood that I last addressed in my article "Against Humanism," but this time informed by my evolving views on personal identity and what constitutes a good life. Besides Philosophy, my work has drawn from and responded to work in Psychology, Sociology and Anthropology. After receiving a B.A. and M.A. in Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Oxford University, I earned a Ph.D. from the University of Southern California, where my dissertation was "Citizenship, Political Obligation, and the "Right-Based” Social Contract Tradition."
Production of Philosophical Profiles is under the aegis of the Journal of Cognition and Neuroethics.
For additional information, please contact Simon Cushing by emailing email@example.com.
Philosophical Profiles does not charge for the following:
- Philosophers to republish or replicate all or parts of their own interview in either a non-profit or a for-profit venue. Philosophers are required to acknowledge Philosophical Profiles in any republication or reproduction of their interview.
- Philosophers to republish their interview for educational purposes, for example, on an online course site or for use in a classroom setting.
- The reproduction of copies of the interview for personal use.
Philosophical Profiles charges copyright permission fees for the following:
- Republication of material published by Philosophical Profiles in any venue by parties who are not parties to the material.
- Photocopying of multiple copies of an interview by a party other than the philosopher.
Please contact Philosophical Profiles for permission and information about fees or if your question about copyright permission has not been answered.